Tuesday 26 March 2013

26/03/2013 - Grow and Pot Up Plants From Stem Cuttings Unit 23781


This is my first day that I am back to college after my short break to hometown. My entire mind is not concentrating on anything because I just lost my loving father. He is my world but I told myself that I have to move along with my life. My first lesson was Plant Propagation means the production of new plant.

My tutor was with Lisa Short. Firstly, I took a bucket of soil and compost and then mixed both soil together and filled in large pot and flatten the surface. Apparently I add some water lightly fluff it and wait for water to drained soil. Soil for containers need to be well aerated and well drained while still being able to retain enough moisture for plant growth.

We went around the nursery to look for plants using pieces of stems. There are two types of plants that I cut such as Veronica "Emerald Green" and Thymus vulgaris. The cutting type are semi-hardwood and samples taken for each plants are 60 pieces on Veronica "Emerald Green" and 20 pieces on Thymus vulgaris.




I cut it off with a pair of sharp secateur just below a leaf or node approximately a 5cm to 15cm long stems and strip or cut off any leaves lower half of the cutting and break the plant into several pieces. The division should follow fairly natural points on the plant e.g. nodes or between leaves).

Use a similar long objects or dibber to create a holes for the cutting to sit in. Do not use the cutting itself to push in a hole or the cutting will damaged it. Once all the pot is filled with samples plants it is placed in the Nursery.

Weather observation on 26th March, 2013 - 17 Celcius actual temperature. Wind : Light Wind
Humidity : 60%, Rainfall : 0.00mm.

No comments:

Post a Comment