Thursday 26 September 2013

26/09/2013 - Organic Unit 10325 & Permaculture Unit 21041



Actual Temperature
16 degrees Celsius
Humidity : 69%
Rainfall : 4.8mm
Wind : Light Wind

My morning Organic Unit was with Lisa Burton on Demonstrating knowledge factors influencing the development of organic horticulture in New Zealand. We have individual presentation Assessment and was given 5 -10 minutes to talk about the imaginary organic horticulture enterprise. 

My topic was on product Aloe Vera organic enterprise. I have to describe on the organic horticulture enterprise. Who are my customer for my product, location and the size of market. Volume of my product, over what time of the year required to meet the market demand. How to market and promote my product. Which organic certification scheme I may use and the reason. Who would be my competitors in the market and what point to ensure my product will be successful. What resources need to produce my product. Discuss to commercial factors that may have a positive and negative effect on the success of the organic enterprise.

After the presentation we have light gathering for morning coffee break and class adjourned at 11.00am.

In the afternoon I had my Permaculture Unit with Kim Thomas. She hand out the Assessment  on Design Project and Demonstrate knowledge of permaculture and plan a site.

We went to Polygrow nursery to view on how to make our own Household Cleaners by Maureen Howard. She is the facilitator for the Sustainable Living Programme.

She demonstrate simple solution : Quick and Easy Cleaners such as Ingredients: Vinegar, Baking Soda. Liquid Soda (Mix 1 part soap flakes to 10 parts hot water and store) Soap nut solution and washing soda. Quick Cleaner clothes washing - soap nut solution. Oven Cleaner - baking soda and water paste in warm oven 30 minutes and leave overnight. Wash off.

All purpose paste cleaner (eg JIF) - liquid soap and baking soda paste. Multi purpose liquid spray (anti bacteria & anti fungal wipe, air freshening, window cleaning) - equal vinegar and water and few drops of essential oils. Toilet cleaner - cup of vinegar overnight.  Drainer cleaner - 2 tbsp washing soda, 1 cup vinegar and leave 30 minutes.

Group Activity : Make your own cleaner in groups - select and make a more complex recipe by using books, handouts for reference either washing up liquid, general cleaner, toilet cleaner, glass cleaner, clothes washing and car cleaner.

We end up by mixing the solution and bring home some liquid. Class adjourned at 3.00pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment